9.16.2005

No Offense, But....

I just did something that is big pet peeve of mine. I actually just began a sentence with the phrase "No offense, but..." Wouldn't you agree that the person who starts with "No offense, but..." isn't acutally intending not to offend you, they are just warning you to brace yourself for a majorly offensive remark about to spew from their mouth? I mean, let's get real, what should be said is, "I am SO about to offend you now, so if you don't think you can stand it, stick your fingers in your ears and make humming sounds until my mouth stops moving."

I checked out a website called http://www.wordorigins.org/ Pet Peeve wasn't on the list, but these were: Happy as a clam, Keeping up with the Joneses, Pay through the nose, and Dressed to the nines.

2 comments:

cjblue said...

So, ya know, not for nothin', but...

What's THAT about? I never understood "not for nothin, but.'" Does that translate to "Please disregard everything about to come out of my mouth cause I'm an idiot, but I'm going to say it anyway?"

There's a little icon for "insert hyperlink here" when you're composing your post. I think there's a tiny globe on it.

And yeah, I have actually interrupted people and said "You know it WILL offend me, so just stop now."

Or, maybe I only imagined doing that.

My comments are always too long. I'm reminded of a story but I'll have to save it for another time.

olfrb: A character from LOTR

PFG said...

"not for nothing" means what I am about to say is significant. It's like "you know what?" Not that this excuses its use...
xzaowkur: a country ours will soon be invading